Matthew Clark sees premium wine surge in UK
Sauvignon Blanc is among the star performers at Matthew Clark
UK distributor Matthew Clark has reported double digit growth for year-on-year premium wines sales. Premium still wine sales throughout Matthew Clark’s customer base were up 10.7%.
The company has also added 30 new wines to its portfolio, including two Sauvignon Blancs after the grape variety accounted for 43% of its still white category.
Simon Jerrome, purchasing director of Matthew Clark said: "Our customers are increasingly looking to up their offering of quality wines delivering good value as consumers are not only more willing to trade up but more interested in trying new things. We have new producers from Australia, Argentina, USA, Spain, Hungary, Romania and the UK as well as France, Italy and New Zealand - all selected to fulfil growing customer demand for premium wines."
When asked how the company defines premium, Jerrome said: "Of course categorising wine is always subjective, but here at Matthew Clark, we base it on a balanced combination of provenance, quality and price."
A spokesperson told just-drinks that Matthew Clark’s ‘premium’ category relates to their Wines of Distinction range. Prices in the range start at around GBP6 (US$9.40) and go into the hundreds.
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research