US: Massachusetts distribution giant on the horizon
Two alcohol distributors in Massachusetts are poised to join forces.
Martignetti announced yesterday (7 August) that it has reached a preliminary agreement to acquire United Liquors in the state. The move will create the state's largest liquor distributor, which will have operations in all the New England states except Connecticut.
A spokesperson for the two companies emphasised that final details were still being discussed yesterday, with a final agreement due in the coming weeks or months. The new company will leave just one other major liquor distributor in the state, in the shape of Horizon Beverage.
"This is consistent with the consolidation in the industry, and other major markets are down to two or three major players," the spokesperson told local reporters.
Martignetti is a family-owned company with around 700 employees.
Last year, United Liquors secured a joint partnership agreement with Southern Wine & Spirits. The deal saw Southern take a minority stake in United.
The Indian government has indicated to the EU that the country needs to reform its tariff regime on imported spirits and wine, just-drinks understands....
Rising earnings across its business have boosted annual profits at Sweden's V&S Group....
The International Center for Alcohol Policies has appointed a chairman and vice-chairman....
V&S Group is mulling whether to go to Sweden's Supreme Court in a bid to overturn a decision from the country's alcohol retail monopoly Systembolaget to de-list wines handled by the company....
V&S Group has launched an appeal in Sweden to regain the trademark rights to Golden Gate wine, the company said today (29 January)....
The European Parliament's agriculture committee is resisting European Commission attempts to overhaul the EU's wine market system, notably calling for the retention of compulsory distillation to ease ...
Russia has been hit by yet another delay in its attempts to curb the counterfeit alcohol trade, according to local reports....
Sales of soju in South Korea rose slightly last year, according to local figures....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015