UK: Marston's acquires Ryland Thompson
Marston's has acquired Ryland Thompson and subsidiaries including the trading arm Refresh UK.
The UK brewer and pub operator said yesterday (3 April) that it has purchased Refresh's Wychwood brewery in Oxfordshire, which brews 50,000 barrels of beer per annum, including brands such as Hobgoblin and Brakspear.
Financial details of the transaction were not disclosed.
Refresh, the UK's largest brewer of organic ales, including Duchy Originals Organic Ale, also has partnership arrangements with Wadworth, Thatchers, Lowenbru and Innis & Gunn, the company said.
The acquisition is expected to be "earnings enhancing in the first full year of operation," said Marston's.
Refresh UK chief executive Rupert Thompson said: "The next stage in the business's development was likely to involve a link-up with a larger partner or an acquisition. Marston's has shown a real commitment to building an exciting range of quality premium ales. I am confident that Marston's will provide a great home for Refresh, allowing its brands and people to develop further."
Marston's managing director Alistair Darby added: "Our premium ale business continues to deliver good, consistent growth and we look forward to repeating the success of the Jennings and Ringwood brands with the Refresh portfolio."
The company recently acquired rival Ringwood Brewery in the UK, which owns brands including Ringwood Best Bitter, Old Thumper and Fortyniner, for GBP19.2m (US$38.4m)
Sectors: Beer & cider
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends