UK: Marston's acquires Ringwood for £19m
UK brewer Marston's has acquired rival Ringwood Brewery Limited for £19.2m.
Ringwood was established in 1978. Its brands include Ringwood Best Bitter, Old Thumper and Fortyniner. The business supplies approximately 700 customers, predominantly in the South of England.
The transaction the comapny said fits well with Marston's recent purchase of the Eldridge Pope estate and strengthens the company's position further in the South of England.
Ringwood also owns seven freehold, traditional pubs which will be incorporated into the Marston's Pub Company estate.
Marston's said it will continue to brew all Ringwood brands as well as serve as a base for operations in the region.
Alistair Darby, managing director of Marston's Beer Company, said: "We are delighted to welcome Ringwood to Marston's. We plan to develop its excellent brands as part of our strategy to meet consumer demand for premium ales with local provenance and heritage. Our premium ale business continues to deliver good, consistent growth and we look forward to replicating the success of the Jennings business through Ringwood in the South of England."
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Interview - Bacardi global marketing boss, whisky
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- Has Coca-Cola Jumped From Frying Pan to Fire?
- Constellation grapples with glass as reality bites
- Brewers Feel Prolonged Russian Winter
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Diageo doubles intake for spirits start-ups scheme
- Second senior exec to depart Bacardi
- Portman finds against Diageo "mix it up" tagline
- Bacardi sees North America president step down