UK: Malibu launches charmed promo blitz
Malibu is following its US promotional push with a campaign in the UK.
The rum brand is investing GP1.2m (US$2.2m) in the promotion, focusing on the on-trade. 'Beachcombing,' as the campaign is known, will offer consumers the chance to win "exclusive charms made of materials that could be found washed up on a beach", Malibu's owner, Pernod Ricard, said today (9 May).
The company believes that using charms to accessorise bags, belts and mobile phones is a hot trend this year, with the charms expected to be popular amongst Malibu's core 18-24-year-old female consumer.
"This exciting new promotion will help licensees capitalise on the popularity of Malibu as we head in to the summer months," said Lee James, Pernod Ricard UK's customer development director. "This promotion will drive rate of sale and offer consumers a desirable gift that reflects the qualities of Malibu - authentic, fun and seriously easy going'.
Roger Harrison, Pernod Ricard UK's head of marketing for Malibu, added that the company plans to spend GBP6m on marketing in the UK this year, including a television and cinema campaign.
Yesterday, Malibu announced plans to launch a campaign called 'Seriously Easy Going Summer' in the US. Pernod will back the promotion with a 'Taste the Island Life' consumer sweepstakes programme, where consumers can win a trip to Barbados.
Pernod Ricard has a good record of turning brands around, and is likely to need all that experience to revive the flagging fortunes of ex-Allied Domecq Scotch whisky Ballantine's. Brand director Peter...
A major takeover, persistent speculation about further acquisitions and most recently a legal wrangle with a prominent competitor over the ownership of a key brand have made the past year or so fairly...
India's UB Group and Russian vodka producer Russian Standard have signed a deal that will see the companies distribute each other's products in their respective markets....
Rum producer J Wray & Nephew has appointed David McConnell as managing director of the company's global marketing division....
Tia Maria has tied up with upcoming rom-com 'The Holiday'....
Pernod Ricard has rolled out a 16-year-old cask strength single malt for its flagship Scotch whisky The Glenlivet....
Fifteen beverage alcohol producers in the US have paid a combined US$2.3m to settle a probe into rebates and gifts given to retailers to market their products in New York....
The acquisition of rum producer Cruzan and the purchase of a stake in Beam Global Spirits & Wine has hit nine-month earnings at V&S Group....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- With MegaBrew sorted, is MegaBev next? - Research
- Diageo gets 2016 off to a strong start - Analysis
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- The US is "the first place I look" - Diageo CEO
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research