MALAYSIA: Malaysia wine imports increase 100%
Malaysia's wine imports increased almost 100% this year to around 300,000 cases, according to statistics compiled by the region's top distributor Riche Monde Sdn Bhd.The number of wine importers has increased sharply over the past 10 years, said Riche Monde Sdn Bhd's managing director, Richard Remnant. In 1990, there were only 20 importers while the present number has increased nearly five times.Wine-drinking has become popular with young Malaysians, who travel more widely and have acquired a taste for various wines around the world. "The young Malaysians picked up the habit abroad and continue consuming wine upon their return," said Remnant. Expatriates and foreign tourists are also buoying the sector.However, Remnant believes, that despite the presence of many wine importers in the country, only 30% were serious in developing the local wine market.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends