MALAYSIA: Malaysia wine imports increase 100%
Malaysia's wine imports increased almost 100% this year to around 300,000 cases, according to statistics compiled by the region's top distributor Riche Monde Sdn Bhd.The number of wine importers has increased sharply over the past 10 years, said Riche Monde Sdn Bhd's managing director, Richard Remnant. In 1990, there were only 20 importers while the present number has increased nearly five times.Wine-drinking has become popular with young Malaysians, who travel more widely and have acquired a taste for various wines around the world. "The young Malaysians picked up the habit abroad and continue consuming wine upon their return," said Remnant. Expatriates and foreign tourists are also buoying the sector.However, Remnant believes, that despite the presence of many wine importers in the country, only 30% were serious in developing the local wine market.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Rekorderlig Deal Sees Molson Coors Miss Out
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Constellation Brands basks in beer glory
- Diageo ditches Shui Jing Fang plans in China
- MillerCoors changes CMOs with immediate effect
- C&C Group chairman backs CEO amid turmoil
- Molson Coors acquires Rekorderlig UK rights
- William Grant partners Rugby World Cup