GLOBAL: Majors tighten grip on global spirits sector - research
The world's largest spirits groups are continuing to increase their share of the global spirits market, a new report from Euromonitor International has found.
According to Euromonitor International's Passport report, Growth for International Spirits Companies in Difficult Times, the top ten spirits producers increased their share of the global spirits market in 2011 to 26%, driven both by organic growth and acquisition.
However, the report states that, while international spirits companies have greater potential to expand, they were seeing "mixed results" in growth terms. Companies performing strongest were those with the broadest geographic and category spread, it says. Moreover, strength in emerging markets was not necessarily key.
"Geographic breadth is more important than whether the market is a mature or emerging one," the report says. "The key element is the remaining potential for growth in a particular market. There are still significant opportunities to grow organically in mature and emerging markets."
While the top ten have been pulling away from the pack, the report notes that the gap between the two largest players - Diageo and Pernod Ricard - and the others has also increased. It also notes that a new period of consolidation is beginning in the spirits sector.
In particular, Beam Inc is "vulnerable to takeover", with Pernod Ricard having most to gain from a move for the company, due to its relative weakness in North America and the fact that it would have fewer competition issues than Diageo in making such a move.
"Beam is likely to be the next big company that loses its independence," the report notes. "The company is publicly listed and, more importantly, is weakly positioned both in terms of geographic spread, as 86% of its volumes are sold in mature markets, and brand portfolio."
The most unexpected new product in the white spirits world so far this year has to be Burrough's Reserve, a sipping gin from Pernod Ricard's team at Beefeater. Chris Mercer looks at the launch of the ...
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets