HONG KONG: Major Tsingtao shareholder ups stake
The main shareholder in Tsingtao Brewery is set to up its stake.
The Chinese brewer said today (31 August) that the state-owned Asset Supervision and Administration Commission of the People's Government of Qingdao will buy all of the shares held by China Orient Asset Management Corp. for an undisclosed sum.
The 2.2% stake - equivalent to 29.3m shares - could be worth up to HK$263.7m (US$33.8m) based on Tsingtao's last stock price of HK$9.00, and pushes the commission's holding up to 32.8%. At the same time, the purchase paves the way for a share reform proposal, details of which will be announced in the next few days. Subsequently, trading in the brewer's shares was suspended on Tuesday and was due to restart today.
The commission obtained confirmation from the Securities and Futures Commissions that it would be exempted from making a general offer after the purchase.
Anheuser-Busch holds a 27% stake in the brewer.
Earlier this week, local reports claimed that Tsingtao is looking to increase its annual production through building a new brewery and upgrading an existing facility. The brewer is reported to have set aside CNY300m (US$37.7m) to build a plant in the Shangdong province, while CNY62m will be spent on its site in Jiangsu province.
Czech government ministers are to hold talks on the idea of privatising state-run brewer Budejovicky Budvar, officials told just-drinks today (23 February). The future of the brewer is again uncertain...
Anheuser-Busch has confirmed its long-rumoured entry into the Indian beer market. The US brewing giant today (22 February) announced that it would set up a local venture with Indian brewer Crown Beers...
The Czech government may reportedly look to sell state-run brewer Budejovicky Budvar....
Isbre Holding has added another US distributor to a long list for its Norwegian spring water....
Dutch brewer Grolsch saw sales and earnings inch up last year, the company reported today (20 February)....
Carlsberg has replaced Anheuser-Busch as the official beer for the UK's Glastonbury Festival....
Isbre Holding Corp. has secured further distribution for its bottled Norwegian spring water in the US....
Anheuser-Busch and InBev are in preliminary merger talks, according to a Brazilian newspaper report. Valor Economico claimed today (15 February) that the two global brewers have begun talks about a po...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018