UK: Majestic Wine's Christmas boosted by fine wine sales
The company reported strong sales of fine wines over Christmas
UK retailer Majestic Wine saw a single-digit rise in sales over Christmas as fine wines performed strongly.
The Watford-headquartered group, which has 200 UK stores, reported today (8 January) that like-for-like sales in the ten weeks to 6 January rose by 2.8%. Total sales, including new store openings, were up by 5.9%.
No further detail was given.
Steve Lewis, Majestic's chief executive said customers had chosen to "treat themselves". "We saw strong growth in sales of fine wine above GBP20 (US$33) per bottle," he added.
Wine producers operating in the UK are increasingly focussing on a premiumisation strategy as the market remains tough.
In full-year results, reported last June, Majestic said that pre-tax profits rose by 2.2% to GBP23.7m (US$37.3m), but sales fell.
New, unique analysis of the online sales of beer, wines and spirits (“BWS”) in the UK market, based on actual ePOS data from 11 leading online retailers. No modelling, no guesswork....
The 30th Tax Free World Association exhibition is underway in Cannes. just-drinks reporter Andy Morton is there to keep you informed in this live blog as he meets top management from the Travel Retail...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report