UK: Majestic Wine's Christmas boosted by fine wine sales
The company reported strong sales of fine wines over Christmas
UK retailer Majestic Wine saw a single-digit rise in sales over Christmas as fine wines performed strongly.
The Watford-headquartered group, which has 200 UK stores, reported today (8 January) that like-for-like sales in the ten weeks to 6 January rose by 2.8%. Total sales, including new store openings, were up by 5.9%.
No further detail was given.
Steve Lewis, Majestic's chief executive said customers had chosen to "treat themselves". "We saw strong growth in sales of fine wine above GBP20 (US$33) per bottle," he added.
Wine producers operating in the UK are increasingly focussing on a premiumisation strategy as the market remains tough.
In full-year results, reported last June, Majestic said that pre-tax profits rose by 2.2% to GBP23.7m (US$37.3m), but sales fell.
New, unique analysis of the online sales of beer, wines and spirits (“BWS”) in the UK market, based on actual ePOS data from 11 leading online retailers. No modelling, no guesswork....
The 30th Tax Free World Association exhibition is underway in Cannes. just-drinks reporter Andy Morton is there to keep you informed in this live blog as he meets top management from the Travel Retail...
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research