UK: Majestic Wine's Christmas boosted by fine wine sales
The company reported strong sales of fine wines over Christmas
UK retailer Majestic Wine saw a single-digit rise in sales over Christmas as fine wines performed strongly.
The Watford-headquartered group, which has 200 UK stores, reported today (8 January) that like-for-like sales in the ten weeks to 6 January rose by 2.8%. Total sales, including new store openings, were up by 5.9%.
No further detail was given.
Steve Lewis, Majestic's chief executive said customers had chosen to "treat themselves". "We saw strong growth in sales of fine wine above GBP20 (US$33) per bottle," he added.
Wine producers operating in the UK are increasingly focussing on a premiumisation strategy as the market remains tough.
In full-year results, reported last June, Majestic said that pre-tax profits rose by 2.2% to GBP23.7m (US$37.3m), but sales fell.
New, unique analysis of the online sales of beer, wines and spirits (“BWS”) in the UK market, based on actual ePOS data from 11 leading online retailers. No modelling, no guesswork....
The 30th Tax Free World Association exhibition is underway in Cannes. just-drinks reporter Andy Morton is there to keep you informed in this live blog as he meets top management from the Travel Retail...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research