UK: Majestic Wine to continue store expansion plans
UK wine retailer Majestic Wine will continue its store expansion plan, despite posting a slide in full-year profits on Monday (15 June).
The company has opened four stores this year in Hereford, Leatherhead, Finchley and Oxford. In addition it has re-sited stores in Kingston, Worcester and south Oxford.
Since the retailer's fiscal year-end on 30 March, the group has also opened in Southend and Shrewsbury and will open a store in Edinburgh this month.
And, despite its net profits for the year falling to GBP3.26m, down from GBP11.25m a year earlier, Majestic confirmed to just-drinks it has "identified a further 100 locations" where it believes the company would trade "successfully".
The retailer said it currently plans to open a further five stores during the year.
Majestic reported a 2.4% rise in net sales across the group, with a 16% rise in online wine sales.
A spokesperson told just-drinks: "I think overall the online market for wine generally has continued to show a great deal of strength."
The group said that its retail business model, where consumers purchase wines by the case, "lends itself very well" to online selling.
As administrators plough through offers for collapsed First Quench Retailing, a sales rise from Majestic Wine today (16 November) proves that there is life yet in independent and specialist wine retai...
Recession has been the final straw for First Quench Retailing, owner of Threshers wine stores, but company accounts show the business has been struggling for some time amid a turbulent period for the ...
Les Domaines Paul Mas' Estate Single Vineyard Collection...
Majestic Wine, the UK wine retailer, has declined to comment on a report that it faces a lawsuit from a wine critic in the UK....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts