UK: Majestic Wine shakes off Christmas snow
Majestic Wine pleased with Christmas sales
UK retailer Majestic Wine has reported an increase in sales over the key Christmas trading period, despite concerns that poor weather could have hit retail sales in the country.
Majestic's net sales rose by 6.4% for the nine weeks to 3 January, the wine retailer said today (6 January). Like-for-like sales across the company's stores rose by almost 4% on the same period a year earlier.
"We are very pleased with our sales growth over the Christmas period," said Majestic's CEO, Steve Lewis. There have been concerns that repeated bouts of snow across the UK in the run-up to Christmas could have hampered sales in the retail sector.
It is the second Christmas period during which Majestic has operated its minimum purchase rule of six bottles, down from a minimum of 12 bottles previously. The group's figures show that it has lost some momentum from last year, when Christmas sales rose by 12%.
Before Christmas, the head of the Wine & Spirit Trade Assocation, Jeremy Beadles, told just-drinks that he expects 2011 to be another tough year for the UK wine trade.
Presented earlier this month at the London International Wine Fair, here, for just-drinks members, is a bonus briefing for May, just-drinks' State of the UK Nation 2011 survey. Here's part one of four...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research