UK: Majestic Wine shakes off Christmas snow
Majestic Wine pleased with Christmas sales
UK retailer Majestic Wine has reported an increase in sales over the key Christmas trading period, despite concerns that poor weather could have hit retail sales in the country.
Majestic's net sales rose by 6.4% for the nine weeks to 3 January, the wine retailer said today (6 January). Like-for-like sales across the company's stores rose by almost 4% on the same period a year earlier.
"We are very pleased with our sales growth over the Christmas period," said Majestic's CEO, Steve Lewis. There have been concerns that repeated bouts of snow across the UK in the run-up to Christmas could have hampered sales in the retail sector.
It is the second Christmas period during which Majestic has operated its minimum purchase rule of six bottles, down from a minimum of 12 bottles previously. The group's figures show that it has lost some momentum from last year, when Christmas sales rose by 12%.
Before Christmas, the head of the Wine & Spirit Trade Assocation, Jeremy Beadles, told just-drinks that he expects 2011 to be another tough year for the UK wine trade.
Presented earlier this month at the London International Wine Fair, here, for just-drinks members, is a bonus briefing for May, just-drinks' State of the UK Nation 2011 survey. Here's part one of four...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Rémy Cointreau eyes recovery after Q4 bounceback
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review