UK: Majestic Wine shakes off Christmas snow
Majestic Wine pleased with Christmas sales
UK retailer Majestic Wine has reported an increase in sales over the key Christmas trading period, despite concerns that poor weather could have hit retail sales in the country.
Majestic's net sales rose by 6.4% for the nine weeks to 3 January, the wine retailer said today (6 January). Like-for-like sales across the company's stores rose by almost 4% on the same period a year earlier.
"We are very pleased with our sales growth over the Christmas period," said Majestic's CEO, Steve Lewis. There have been concerns that repeated bouts of snow across the UK in the run-up to Christmas could have hampered sales in the retail sector.
It is the second Christmas period during which Majestic has operated its minimum purchase rule of six bottles, down from a minimum of 12 bottles previously. The group's figures show that it has lost some momentum from last year, when Christmas sales rose by 12%.
Before Christmas, the head of the Wine & Spirit Trade Assocation, Jeremy Beadles, told just-drinks that he expects 2011 to be another tough year for the UK wine trade.
Presented earlier this month at the London International Wine Fair, here, for just-drinks members, is a bonus briefing for May, just-drinks' State of the UK Nation 2011 survey. Here's part one of four...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015