UK: Majestic Wine sales up despite 'challenging' Christmas
Majestic Wine reported a "challenging" Christmas in its UK stores
Majestic Wine has reported a slight rise in Christmas sales in its UK stores, but admitted the period was “challenging”.
Like-for-like sales sales in the seven weeks from 13 November were up by 1.1%, the wine retailer said yesterday (8 January). Total sales, including new store openings, were up by 5.1% over the period.
“While we saw encouraging sales growth over the period, the Christmas trading season was challenging with many consumers leaving their shopping until the very last moment,” said chief executive Steve Lewis.
Overall, for the first 39 weeks of the financial year, Majestic's sales were up by 0.8%.
In November, the group announced that net sales rose by 7% to GBP6.7m (US$10.7m).
Majestic opened 14 stores in 2012 and currently has 192 stores across the UK. Looking ahead, it says it “sees the potential” to have a total of 330 stores in the country.
SH Jones Wine has acquired Slurp.co.uk for an undisclosed fee, its second purchase of an online drinks retailer this year....
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014