UK: Majestic Wine sales up despite 'challenging' Christmas
Majestic Wine reported a "challenging" Christmas in its UK stores
Majestic Wine has reported a slight rise in Christmas sales in its UK stores, but admitted the period was “challenging”.
Like-for-like sales sales in the seven weeks from 13 November were up by 1.1%, the wine retailer said yesterday (8 January). Total sales, including new store openings, were up by 5.1% over the period.
“While we saw encouraging sales growth over the period, the Christmas trading season was challenging with many consumers leaving their shopping until the very last moment,” said chief executive Steve Lewis.
Overall, for the first 39 weeks of the financial year, Majestic's sales were up by 0.8%.
In November, the group announced that net sales rose by 7% to GBP6.7m (US$10.7m).
Majestic opened 14 stores in 2012 and currently has 192 stores across the UK. Looking ahead, it says it “sees the potential” to have a total of 330 stores in the country.
SH Jones Wine has acquired Slurp.co.uk for an undisclosed fee, its second purchase of an online drinks retailer this year....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts