UK: Majestic Wine sales up despite 'challenging' Christmas
Majestic Wine reported a "challenging" Christmas in its UK stores
Majestic Wine has reported a slight rise in Christmas sales in its UK stores, but admitted the period was “challenging”.
Like-for-like sales sales in the seven weeks from 13 November were up by 1.1%, the wine retailer said yesterday (8 January). Total sales, including new store openings, were up by 5.1% over the period.
“While we saw encouraging sales growth over the period, the Christmas trading season was challenging with many consumers leaving their shopping until the very last moment,” said chief executive Steve Lewis.
Overall, for the first 39 weeks of the financial year, Majestic's sales were up by 0.8%.
In November, the group announced that net sales rose by 7% to GBP6.7m (US$10.7m).
Majestic opened 14 stores in 2012 and currently has 192 stores across the UK. Looking ahead, it says it “sees the potential” to have a total of 330 stores in the country.
SH Jones Wine has acquired Slurp.co.uk for an undisclosed fee, its second purchase of an online drinks retailer this year....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review