UK: Majestic Wine FY sales edge up despite "difficult" market
- Full-year net profits flat at GBP17.5m (US$29.7m)
- Net sales up 1.4% to GBP278.2m
- Operating profits flat at GBP23.9m
- Online sales up 5.8% to GBP27.7m
The wine retailer saw its full-year sales rise despite tough conditions
Majestic Wine, the UK-based retailer, has seen a slight rise in full-year sales despite “difficult” trading conditions as consumers continue to trade up.
The Hertfordshire-headquartered group said today (16 June) that net profits in the 12 months to the end of March came in flat at GBP17.5m (US$29.7m). Sales in the period rose 1.4% to GBP278.2m, while operating profits were flat at GBP23.9m.
“Majestic made good operational progress in the last year and despite the difficult trading environment delivered a solid performance,” said the group's CEO, Steve Lewis.
In its last full-year, the group saw sales slide by 2.1%.
Majestic, which operates 206 stores across the UK, said today the average bottle of still wine purchased rose to GBP7.94, compared to GBP7.56 the prior year.
Sales of rosé from Provence leapt 84%, while sales of Malbec from Argentina, Chile and France climbed by 50%, the company said.
Majestic's online sales were up 5.8% to GBP27.7m and now represent 11.4 % of its UK retail sales.
The company opened 13 new stores in the 12-month period, compared to 16 new openings the prior year.
New, unique analysis of the online sales of beer, wines and spirits (“BWS”) in the UK market, based on actual ePOS data from 11 leading online retailers. No modelling, no guesswork....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research