Mahou San Miguel ups craft footprint with Nomada stake buy in Spain
Mahou San Miguel has made another craft beer purchase, this time in Spain
Mahou San Miguel has secured a 40% holding in Spanish craft brewer Nómada Brewing Co.
The brewer, which is the beer market leader in Spain, confirmed yesterday that it has made the purchase. The transaction follows MSM's earlier foray into the US craft category in late-2014, when it bought a 30% stake in Michigan-based Founders.
Financial details behind this week's transaction were not disclosed.
Formed in 2011, Nómada, which does not own a production facility of its own, has collaborated with other brewers in the UK, the US and Denmark. Previously focused on exporting its beers, the craft brewer will look to focus on its domestic market through the MSM tie-up.
"(The purchase) will provide Nómada Brewing with access to Mahou San Miguel's s technology, quality control systems and sales network to help their project evolve, boosting its growth," MSM said.
Nómada will subsequently move its microbrewery to MSM's production centre in Alovera.
Towards the end of last year, MSM was linked to a move for Anchor Brewers & Distillers in the US.
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Cognac is back - is Remy Cointreau ready?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World