US: LVMH to acquire 40% stake in Millennium
Millennium owns a controlling stake in the Polish spirits producer, Zyrardow Distillery, located near Warsaw, and also owns the exclusive worldwide rights to two premium vodka brands, Belvedere and Chopin. LVMH's wines and spirits division, Moet Hennessy, will add the Belvedere and Chopin brands to its portfolio and distribute both brands outside the US.
In introducing the two brands around five years ago, Millennium was aiming to tap into the demand for premium vodka in the US and the brands have grown as that market has expanded. They are expected to sell in excess of 450,000 cases in the US in 2002.
The company is now looking to expand the brands outside the US and to this end was looking for an international partner. "We consider LVMH to be the quintessential luxury brands company in the world and Moet Hennessy to occupy the same pillar position in the international drinks industry," said Millennium's CEO, Edward Phillips. "We carefully identified Moet Hennessy as our worldwide partner based upon shared values, culture and know-how."
Moet Hennessy's president, Christophe Navarre believes the partnership brings together complementary strengths. "Edward Phillips and his team have built a fine business at Millennium and we are delighted at the prospects of working with them and investing in their company," Navarre said. "We look forward to helping to build their brands worldwide thus strengthening Moet Hennessy's position as the leading luxury Wines and Spirits Group. This partnership brings together complementary strengths and savoir faire in a market that presents great opportunities for creating value."
The deal is subject to board and regulatory approval and is expected to be completed by the year-end.
Interest gathers for Taittinger and Lanson. In stark contrast to most of the French wine industry, sales of Champagne have been growing steadily and it is no surprise to find that the possible sale of...
Available from just-drinks' research store now is the "Global market review of Champagne." The review not only looks at markets around the world, but also gives profiles of the main players in the sec...
French luxury powerhouse LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton has reported an 11% rise in full-year revenues from its wine and spirits business....
LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton has welcomed a Chinese court's decision to fine two companies for infringing its trademark on Hennessy Cognac....
LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton has distanced itself from the bidding for Lanson International, just-drinks understands....
Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy (LVMH) has entered the running for a stake in Lanson International, according to press reports....
Revenue at LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton reached €9.598bn for the first nine months of 2005, representing 12% organic growth from the corresponding period last year, the French drinks and luxury go...
LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton has posted an 11% rise in profit from recurring operations for the first half of 2005, from €982m to €1.09bn....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report