CHINA: LVMH happy with Hennessy ruling
LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton has welcomed a Chinese court's decision to fine two companies for infringing its trademark on Hennessy Cognac.
On Tuesday (29 November), the Shanghai No. 2 Intermediate People's Court ordered two Chinese firms to pay CNY300,000 (US$37,137) in compensation to LVMH and stop infringing the trademark on Hennessy.
The two companies, which imitated the Hennessy trademark and sold their products as imported wine, were also required to publish a notice in a local newspaper to clarify the difference.
LVMH told just-drinks that it "welcomed" the court's decision. "We believe it shows the Chinese authorities want to seriously protect the trademark owner's rights and to punish any trademark infringment. We consider this judgement as a positive result since Hennessy is determined to actively protect its intellectual property rights worldwide."
LVMH found last July that a series of wine products were sold in Chinese supermarkets as Cognac under the Hanlissy trademark.
The wine, distributed by Zhuhai Xiang Mu Tong Trade Co. and bottled by Xiamen Golden Huanya Food Co., was also sold in bottles that were similar in colour, shape and size to bottles of Hennessy.
The court ruled that the English letters of Hanlissy and Hennessy are very similar and said the Hanlissy trademark would mislead consumers.
Interest gathers for Taittinger and Lanson. In stark contrast to most of the French wine industry, sales of Champagne have been growing steadily and it is no surprise to find that the possible sale of...
Available from just-drinks' research store now is the "Global market review of Champagne." The review not only looks at markets around the world, but also gives profiles of the main players in the sec...
French luxury powerhouse LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton has said sales in the opening months of 2006 have risen in double-digits building on the company's "record results" last year....
French luxury powerhouse LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton has reported an 11% rise in full-year revenues from its wine and spirits business....
LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton has distanced itself from the bidding for Lanson International, just-drinks understands....
Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy (LVMH) has entered the running for a stake in Lanson International, according to press reports....
Revenue at LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton reached €9.598bn for the first nine months of 2005, representing 12% organic growth from the corresponding period last year, the French drinks and luxury go...
LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton has posted an 11% rise in profit from recurring operations for the first half of 2005, from €982m to €1.09bn....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future