AUSTRALIA: LVMH extends Australian wine interests
LVMH's Veuve Cliquot arm, has added a third Australasian wine company to its portfolio with the acquisition of controlling interest in small, leading premium producer, Mountadam.The sale was made through existing Veuve Cliquot subsidiary, Margaret River-based Cape Mentelle, for an undisclosed figure, which is understood to have been higher than market expectations.Several publicly listed and Australian companies are believed to have also been keen to acquire the Eden Valley-based winery, founded in 1972 by David Wynn, of the noted wine family.Cape Mentelle CEO, David Hohnen, said that Mountadam would be 'an ideal complement' to the other wineries.The Wynn family is retaining a stake in Mountadam with CEO and winemaker, Adam Wynn, remaining at the helm as executive chairman.Wynn said he was 'delighted' with the sale which would allow Mountadam to grow faster than under its former structure.At present only 50 of the company's 400 hectares were planted: up to 150 ha more would be planted within three or four years, allowing production to be trebled in an expanded winery.Mountadam currently has sales of about $A5m from 45,000 cases, half of which are exported, mainly to the UK, USA and Japan. Its principal brands are David Wynn, headed by Patriarch Shiraz, and Mountadam, with Mountadam Chardonnay having led the development of the Mountadam profile.LVMH, through its Moet and Hennessey arm, also owns Domaine Chandon, the premium sparkling wine producing company in the Yarra Valley, near Melbourne.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Are Big Spirits Companies Failing to Innovate?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Suntory sells Louis Royer Cognac for US$110m
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research