FRANCE: LVMH denies Moet Hennessy sale plan - report
LVMH says Moet Hennessy not for sale
The owner of Moet Hennessy, LVMH, has denied that it has any intention of selling the wine and spirits division to Diageo.
Speculation that Diageo could buy the 66% of Moet Hennessy that it does not already own has returned to the fore in the last couple of weeks. However, an LVMH spokesperson told Reuters yesterday (21 October) that there was no plan to sell up.
Diageo has previously declared an interest in Moet, the owner of Hennessy Cognac, Moet & Chandon Champagne and Glenmorangie and Ardbeg Scotch whiskies. Diageo's 34% stake in the firm is the drinks giant's only current route into Asia's fast-growing Cognac market and also the Champagne sector.
However, analysts do not believe that LVMH's chairman, Bernard Arnault, has the desire or the need to sell. "Diageo would love to do it, but LVMH isn’t going to sell," one analyst told just-drinks. "The MH activities are profitable and diversify LVMH’s total business."
To read just-drinks' comment on the Diageo, Moet Hennessy speculation, click here.
In this month's management briefing, Richard Woodard turns the spotlight on to the troublesome European markets of Greece, Ireland, Portugal and Spain. Coined unflatteringly, the PIGS, these four mark...
Following on from his introduction to the woes of the PIGS markets, the first part of this month's management briefing sees Richard Woodard focus more sharply on Spain and Portugal....
The second part of this month's management briefing, looking at the markets of Greece, Ireland, Portugal and Spain, sees RIchard Woodard look at the situation in Ireland....
In the final part of this month's management briefing, Richard Woodard rounds off his tour of the PIGS markets in Greece....
Diageo is set to run a golf tournament in the US for the Ketel One vodka brand....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future