FRANCE: Low stocks could lead to Cognac shortages
Cognac supplies are under pressure and shortages may be on the way, one of the top Cognac houses has warned.
"Today, there is enough stock to supply at the current rate of sales," Cyril Camus, president of Camus, told just-drinks today (5 December). "But if the rapid growth experienced over the past two years continues, there will be shortages in the near future."
Another merchant, Meukow, said they recently lost a US$120,000 contract, because they could not supply enough VS level Cognac to America.
As supplies diminish, prices are rising, particularly for independent growers not under fixed price contracts to the main producers.
Independent grower Christophe Forget said the price of his non-contracted 10-year-old Cognac is up to EUR3,000 per hectolitre, as opposed EUR1,800 last year. Camus estimates independent growers prices are up by 380% on last year for 10-year-old Cognacs.
Sales of Cognac have risen by about 40% since 2001.
Beam Global Spirits & Wine was the frontrunner to land Absolut vodka but was pipped at the post by Pernod Ricard. However, president and CEO Tom Flocco says the company has quickly put that disappoint...
In anticipation of the London International Wine Fair, Chris Losh has put together a few questions, touching on some of the imponderable puzzlements of the drinks industry, for visitors to mull over, ...
The Cognac market - or at least the VSOP-and-above part of it - is riding the crest of a wave and will be finding it increasingly difficult to meet demand. But having seen booms and busts before, Chri...
Grand Marnier is set to launch a seven-figure advertising and promotional campaign next month focused on a new summer cocktail Grand Esprit....
Diageo's Smirnoff vodka brand has held the top spot in this year's Intangible Business 'Power 100' chart for the third year running....
Maxxium Global Travel Retail has announced the appointment of Mariska Van Beukering to the position of marketing manager for Europe South and Middle East....
Rémy Cointreau has posted a slight lift in full-year turnover. The French Champagne and spirits group said today (17 April) that organic growth for the 12 months to 31 March came in 9.7% % up year-on-...
The head of Beam Global Spirits & Wine has said the company has "a lot of dry powder", and will consider other acquisitions following its failure to capture Vin & Sprit earlier this month....
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets