EUR: London Gin gains EU recognition
London Gin has gained recognition as a special quality beverage by the European Union.
The revised EU spirit drink definitions, which became law recently, list the definition of London Distilled Gin for the first time in 300 years, according to the Gin and Vodka Association.
"Historically, London Gin producers have guarded their recipes, including the balance of each botanical, in an effort to maintain the high standards of production and protect the spirit from counterfeit products," the association said.
Edwin Atkinson, the director general of the association said: "We aim to spread the definition around the world so that London Gin is recognised for the very special, high quality spirit drink that it is."
Ensuring that a category actually tastes how it should, might seem a fairly fundamental requirement in the drinks industry. But are there brands exploiting the name of gin and undermining its long-ter...
Amidst the doom and despond of the economic downturn, Diageo demonstrated its power and resilience by turning in full-year sales and profit growth. In the first of a special, two-part just-drinks inte...
Geographic appellations have existed in the wine world for centuries. In the spirits sector, however, the appellation has been much more sparingly used. But geographical definition is at the core of S...
Vodka is soon to take over from Scotch whisky as the most consumed spirit in the UK. But Chris Losh sees its success as a triumph of marketing over substance, and wonders whether consumer interest can...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Global Brands has added a new flavour to its VK Vodka Kick range in the UK....
Pernod Ricard is to take its newly-acquired Vin & Sprit brands, including Absolut vodka, out of the Maxxium Worldwide network next month, prompting a global re-organisation of the distribution venture...
Fortune Brands has confirmed that it is not interested in the Stolichnaya vodka brand....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets