FRANCE: Loi Evin under fire for Newcastle own goal
France's Loi Evin, which restricts the display of advertisements for alcoholic drinks, has come under attack from an unlikely source, a case at the European Court of Justice involving Newcastle United Football Club.
The north-east England team - locally known as the Magpies - is fighting legal action brought by Bacardi-Martini and Cellier des Dauphins. Bacardi and Cellier claim they lost money when Newcastle's management programmed revolving touchline hoardings to display their advertisements for only 1-2 second intervals.
This was during a UEFA Cup tie against French team Metz, which was televised in France. Newcastle claimed it had to restrict the advertisements' exposure to comply with the Loi Evin.
The case brought by Bacardi and Cellier des Dauphins at the UK High Court has now been referred to the ECJ, where judges will consider whether the law breaks EU free trade rules regarding the alcohol advertising at sports events and sports broadcasting in France involving drinks ads.
Bacardi has announced a succession plan for the company's chairmanship....
Bacardi has unveiled the identity of its new CEO and president....
The chairman and chief executive of Bacardi International Ltd. is to retire, according to press reports....
Bacardi Limited and The Glenmorangie Company have said their UK and European distribution agreements will come to an end on 30th June 2005. Moet Hennessy, which acquired The Glenmorangie Company at th...
Alcohol intake amongst young female adults in the UK continues to rise and shows no signs of abating, according to a recent report....
Cobra Beer has launched an alcohol-free beer in South Africa, the UK and in its European and Asian export markets....
Brown-Forman Beverages has replaced Bacardi as its spirits distributor in Canada....
Bacardi USA., Inc. has appointed Sex and the City actress Kim Cattrall as the celebrity spokeswoman for its new FAB, Island Breeze....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research