UK: Loch Lomond Distillers silent on takeover claims
Loch Lomond Distillers has declined to comment on speculation it is about to swallowed up in a private investor takeover.
A spokesperson for the West Dunbartonshire-based company today (25 February) told just-drinks they were not talking to media, following a Sky News report last week it is in advance talks over a deal worth “tens of millions of pounds”. The report, citing a person close to the situation, said the takeover was not by one of the major Scotch producers.
Loch Lomond, which owns brands including Loch Lomond and Glen Scotia, claims to be one of Scotland's oldest distilleries and the second-largest family-owned Scotch maker. It is the only distillery in Scotland that produces grain and malt whisky on the same site, it says, with a combined output of 43m bottles a year.
Scotch sales have increased in the past few years on the back of growth in emerging markets. The spirit's global appeal helped push Remy Cointreau into acquiring Islay distillery Bruichladdich last year for about US$90m.
Wuliangye Yibin has warned China's spirits market is going though an adjustment after it posted a slowdown in profits growth in first-half results, according to local reports. ...
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Whyte & Mackay brings RumChata to UK
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research