ESTONIA/JAPAN: Liviko acquires stake in Hanza Trading Co
Liviko began exporting Viru Valge to Japan in 2009
Estonian alcohol producer Liviko, has acquired a 50% stake in Japanese drinks import and distribution business Hanza Trading.
Liviko said today (17 June) that it has agreed to invest JPY50m (US$550,000) in Hanza, but the fee for the transaction has not been disclosed.
The deal expands Liviko's presence in Japan after the group began exporting its Viru Valge vodkas and coolers to the country last year. It also spent EEK20m (US$1.6m) on a production line for low-alcohol drinks, specifically to target the Japanese market.
Liviko's CEO, Janek Kalvi, said: "A subsidiary in Japan enables us to pay more attention to the sales and introduction of Liviko’s beverages and to achieve a better and more competent presence in a market that has one of the highest consumption potentials in the world.”
In 2009, Liviko exported around 4m litres of alcoholic beverages, nearly one third of its annual production. The firm's main export markets are Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, Ukraine, Finland and the USA. The group also has distribution business in Latvia and Lithuania.
For more on Liviko, click here.
Part one of this month's management briefing on niche spirits looks at what is meant by the term 'niche', and the effect the downturn has had on this segment....
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends