INDIA: Liquor baron murdered
The head of Indian alcohol production and retail company the Wave Group was shot dead in Delhi last weekend.
Gurdeep Singh ‘Ponty’ Chadha was killed on Saturday (17 November) by his brother, who also died in return fire by a bodyguard. Chadha, 55, had complete control of the alcohol retail channel in India’s most populated state of Uttar Pradesh through Wave Group, along with a major stake in other north Indian states.
It also operates two distilleries in Punjab state and is setting up another unit in Uttar Pradesh, and has a franchised bottling unit for Coca Cola and bottles beer for United Breweries. In addition, the group also owns and operates a number of sugar mills.
The killings were triggered by a dispute over the division of business of the Wave Group. Chadha has a son already involved in the company and another brother. The pair are expected to take charge of the group, but analysts have warned that the future for the business is uncertain.
Using profits from the liquor business, Wave Group had diversified into real estate and film financing, among other businesses, and is estimated to be worth in the region of INR80bn (US$1.45bn).
Chadha started his career as a snack seller outside a country liquor shop.
Over the last 10 years of rapid acquisitions, Pernod Ricard has built a strong portfolio of premium brands on a global scale. Most of its brands enjoy a leading position in international markets. The ...
Alcoholic Drinks in India industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The...
Alcoholic Drinks in Denmark industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). T...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Sustainability in Wine - Part II
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- SWA eyes London boost with new office
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018