AUS: Lion's XXXX Gold edges past VB as biggest-selling beer
Analysts Nomura is predicting there won't be volume growth in beer in Australia this year
XXXX Gold has replaced VB as Australia’s biggest-selling beer, according to latest industry figures.
Figures from Nielsen this week show that the Lion brand now accounts for 12.4% of beer drunk in the country, compared to SABMiller-owned Foster's brand VB’s 12.3% share. XXXX Gold outsold VB nationally for the last three months to April, as well as for the 12 months to the end of April, the figures showed.
Carlton Draught came in third with 9.3%, followed by Tooheys New 7.1%, Tooheys Extra Dry with 4.4% and Carlton Mid 3.8%.
In terms of value, Lion, which is owned by Kirin Holdings, has 20.6% share of total alcohol value against Foster's 19.7%.
The figures showed that volumes across Australia's beer industry in April were down by 3%, compared to a drop of 5.2% the previous month. But, value was positive (+0.5%) compared to a drop of 2.7% in March.
Beer’s share of total alcohol value also fell slightly from 40.9% last month to 39.5% in April, with wine and spirits growing.
Analysts Nomura, however, sounded a warning off the back of the figures. “Given the weak consumer economy, we do not expect any re-establishment of a volume growth trend this year for beer,” it said in a note.
Click play, below, to view a company-sourced interview with SABMiller's chairman, Graham Mackay, and CFO, Jamie Wilson, in which the two discuss the brewer's H1 results, released earlier today (22 Nov...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research