NEW ZEALAND: Lion Wins Steinlager Cyberspace Battle
Lion Nathan has won an intellectual property battle against a New Zealand business which was using the Steinlager name as its web address.Wallace Waugh and son Ian, of Waikato, registered steinlager.com more than two years ago. Steinlager is NZ's best selling beer and is brewed by Lion Nathan.But the World Intellectual Property Organisation, a division of the United Nations, has backed Lion Nathan's claim that the web address was not being used for business purposes. The Waughs had offered to sell the address for $20,000.According to the UN panel the Waughs had "no rights or legitimate interests in respect of the domain name." The Waughs, who own an electrical shop, claimed they used the site to sell components to road-marking companies in the US.David Robertsonjust-drinks.com Asia-Pacific correspondent
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Pernod Ricard targets at-home drinking
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends