NEW ZEALAND: Lion Wins Steinlager Cyberspace Battle
Lion Nathan has won an intellectual property battle against a New Zealand business which was using the Steinlager name as its web address.Wallace Waugh and son Ian, of Waikato, registered steinlager.com more than two years ago. Steinlager is NZ's best selling beer and is brewed by Lion Nathan.But the World Intellectual Property Organisation, a division of the United Nations, has backed Lion Nathan's claim that the web address was not being used for business purposes. The Waughs had offered to sell the address for $20,000.According to the UN panel the Waughs had "no rights or legitimate interests in respect of the domain name." The Waughs, who own an electrical shop, claimed they used the site to sell components to road-marking companies in the US.David Robertsonjust-drinks.com Asia-Pacific correspondent
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research