NEW ZEALAND: Lion Wins Steinlager Cyberspace Battle
Lion Nathan has won an intellectual property battle against a New Zealand business which was using the Steinlager name as its web address.Wallace Waugh and son Ian, of Waikato, registered steinlager.com more than two years ago. Steinlager is NZ's best selling beer and is brewed by Lion Nathan.But the World Intellectual Property Organisation, a division of the United Nations, has backed Lion Nathan's claim that the web address was not being used for business purposes. The Waughs had offered to sell the address for $20,000.According to the UN panel the Waughs had "no rights or legitimate interests in respect of the domain name." The Waughs, who own an electrical shop, claimed they used the site to sell components to road-marking companies in the US.David Robertsonjust-drinks.com Asia-Pacific correspondent
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future