NZ: Lion set for private equity fight for Independent
Lion Nathan reportedly faces its main opposition for Independent Liquor from private equity groups ahead of tomorrow's (6 December) deadline for the New Zealand-based spirits business.
Lion, which has long been considered the front-runner for Independent, faces competition from private equity firm CCMP Capital and a consortium of two private equity groups, Pacific Equity Partners and Nikko Principal Investments, according to the Australian Financial Review.
Other names are still in the running for Independent, however. Last week, Diageo was given the all-clear from Australia's competition watchdog to proceed with a possible bid for Independent.
Asia Pacific Breweries, the owner of New Zealand beer maker DB Breweries, has also signalled its interest in the RTD producer.
Analysts have valued Independent, which was put up for sale last year following the death of founder Michael Erceg, at around A$1.1bn (US$829m).
Independent has strong positions in the RTD markets in both Australia and New Zealand. It produces brands including Mudshake, Vodka Cruiser and FX.
Officials at Lion could not be reached for comment as just-drinks went to press.
The C&C Group may have its cider brand Magners to thank for its recent success, but Brian Walsh, managing director of the Irish company's spirits arm C&C International, believes the group's spirits po...
The recent takeover of Whyte & Mackay by the Indian UB Group is hardly the first time the Glasgow-based Scotch whisky producer has changed hands over the past 20 years or so. Patience Gould, who has s...
The managing director of Beam Global Spirits & Wine UK has left the company....
Bacardi has launched Eristoff vodka in India and plans further investment in the country, according to local reports....
V&S Group has set up a joint venture in the Chinese domestic spirits market....
Diageo has secured a prime position for its Blossom Hill wine brand at this year's Wimbledon tennis championships....
Luctor International is bringing an additional vodka flavour to its Van Gogh brand in the US....
Spirits marketer Drinks Americas Holdings has launched a national print advertising campaign for its Trump Super Premium Vodka brand....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research