NZ: Lion pulls out of Independent bidding
Lion Nathan has pulled out of the race for Independent Liquor after private equity groups bid up the price for the New Zealand spirits group.
The Trans-Tasman beer and wine group, long considered the front-runner for Independent, announced its withdrawal from the bidding today (11 December).
Reports in Australia said Independent is expected to fetch around NZ$1.13bn (US$776.6m). Private equity group CCMP Capital Asia and a consortium of Nikko Principal Investment and Pacific Equity Partners are understood to be battling it out for Independent, which could be sold for NZ$1.3bn, the reports added.
Lion chief executive Rob Murray admitted that Independent operates "with Lion Nathan's area of strategic focus". However, he said Lion could not justify a second, higher bid for Independent - although he refused to reveal the size of Lion's offer.
Murray said: "We undertook a rigorous valuation exercise on Independent's business operations and brands to determine what they were worth to our business, having regard to synergies and integration costs.
"Our focus is very much on adding value to Lion Nathan shareholders and our judgement was that an acquisition above our offer price would not achieve that."
Analysts had seen Independent as a key acquisition for Lion, which has been looking to bolster its presence in the RTD sector in Australia and New Zealand.
Independent, which was put up for sale after its founder Michael Erceg died last year, makes RTD brands including Vodka Cruiser and Mudshake.
However, Lion said it would continue with its plans to roll out Bourbon brand McKenna across Australia after a "successful launch" in Queensland this summer.
Soyuz-Victan USA has appointed Georgia Crown Distributing Co. and Alabama Crown Distributing as distributors for its Silk Vodka in Georgia and Alabama....
William Grant & Sons has lined up an advertising push for its Reyka vodka brand....
Central European Distribution Corporation has lined up a distribution agreement in Poland....
Fortune Brands appears to be upping its profile in the impending race to acquire Sweden's Vin & Sprit....
Bacardi has launched Eristoff vodka in India and plans further investment in the country, according to local reports....
V&S Group has set up a joint venture in the Chinese domestic spirits market....
Luctor International is bringing an additional vodka flavour to its Van Gogh brand in the US....
Spirits marketer Drinks Americas Holdings has launched a national print advertising campaign for its Trump Super Premium Vodka brand....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends