AUSTRALIA: Lion Nathan misses Victoria opportunity as Fosters settles strike dispute
Lion Nathan missed a golden opportunity last week to get one up on its arch rival Fosters.Fosters ran into trouble with its workers in the Australian state of Victoria over a new bargaining agreement. A week long stoppage at the Foster's brewery in Victoria gave Lion Nathan a chance to leap on itsrival's misfortune.As stocks of Fosters brands Victoria Bitter and Carlton Draught ran low, Lion is understood to have rushed extra kegs of its Tooheys product to the state.But by the time the Lion beer got into the state the Fosters strike was over and its beer began flowing again."We have come to an agreement and they are back at work and the ban on production of these brands is over," Fosters spokesman David Park told just-drinks.com.Lion Nathan has been desperate to break into the A$2bn Victoria market, and its biggest city Melbourne, but Fosters has a traditional stranglehold that it is not letting go of.But wags at the Sydney Morning Herald pointed out that Melbourne's stubborn drinkers would probably rather have gone thirsty than be seen drinking imported Sydney beer.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Interview - Bacardi global marketing boss, whisky
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- Has Coca-Cola Jumped From Frying Pan to Fire?
- Constellation grapples with glass as reality bites
- Brewers Feel Prolonged Russian Winter
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Diageo doubles intake for spirits start-ups scheme
- Second senior exec to depart Bacardi
- Portman finds against Diageo "mix it up" tagline
- Bacardi sees North America president step down