AUS: Lion Nathan makes spirits, RTD move
Lion Nathan has acquired Inner Circle Rum in Australia.
The trans-Tasman brewer and wine group confirmed the purchase of the trademark and distillery operations, for an undisclosed sum, today (7 March). The move signals Lion's intentions in the direction of spirits and RTDs, to complement its current beer and wine offerings.
"Inner Circle Rum is a brand with strong quality and heritage credentials," said Andrew Reeves, Lion Nathan's managing director. "As brand owner, we will have access to the full profit margin. While the brand is relatively small at this stage, we intend to invest patiently to build the brand and we believe it has great potential.
"Our strong route to market means we are well placed to build a credible position in the spirits and RTDs market via Lion Nathan Australia."
Stuart Gilbert, founder and managing director of Inner Circle Rum, added: "We are delighted to be selling to Lion Nathan, which has a strong record in nurturing premium brands. Lion Nathan's first rate sales and distribution capability means that it is well placed to take the brand to the next level."
Inner Circle Rum is currently available in three full-strength bottled spirit formats and two RTD variants.
Yesterday, Lion Nathan confirmed that it was in talks to sell one of its breweries in New Zealand. "The company is entering into further discussions with a small number of parties with a view to fully understanding the opportunities offered by these expressions of interest," the company said.
A recent report in the Indian business press suggested that local spirits force United Spirits, part of the UB Group, had abandoned plans to develop RTDs for the Indian market. However, other companie...
Corby Distilleries has posted figures for its 2006-2007 fiscal year....
Bacardi has disclosed plans to close its rum distillery in the Bahamas due to changes in trade agreements and competition....
Diageo has launched two new premium strength RTDs to its Bundaberg Rum and Johnnie Walker brands....
Vin & Sprit has posted a slight lift in its half-year figures, despite a hammering from exchange rate fluctuations....
Distell has posted a rise in sales and income for its most recent financial year....
The UB Group has reportedly ditched plans to partner with Independent Liquor in the Indian RTD market....
Leading figures in the Scotch whisky industry are to form a pan-industry working party to investigate the question of image and innovation in Scotch. The debate will be led by the World Whisky Confere...
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020