AUS: Lion Nathan in distribution row
Lion Nathan has become caught up in a legal battle with niche Australian winery Planatgenet Wines.
Lion, which until December had acted as the distributor for Plantagenet's portfolio in eastern Australia, has been served with a writ by the West Australian producer.
Plantagenet has claimed that Lion misled the winery when it restructured its wine distribution business last year.
Lion's distribution unit, Distinguished Vineyards, was merged with national fine wine distributor Tucker Seabrook in October to become Fine Wine Partners and it took over Plantagenet's east coast distribution.
Plantagenet claims that it was not told the new distribution vehicle would offer rival wine brands from Western Australia and argues that Lion's wine orders fell 58% below its agreed volume target between October and February.
Plantagenet is suing for loss of earnings in the Perth Federal Court after deciding to rip up its agreement with Lion three years early.
Lion Nathan has taken action against Plantagenet in the New South Wales Supreme Court and, according to local reports today (27 February), is understood to be seeking a court order that maintains its agreement with Plantagenet.
Officials for Lion and Plantagenet could not be reached for comment as just-drinks went to press.
Australian beer and wine group Lion Nathan is expected to announce a move into ready-to-drink spirits next week. David Robertson assesses the options available to Lion as it seeks to emulate the succe...
After some less than successful diversification in recent years, Lion Nathan is focusing its attentions back on beer and winning the approval of analysts in the process. The company looks set to gain ...
Integrating spirits, wine and beer has proved problematic for major drinks groups over the years but expansionary moves by the two major Australian brewers, Foster's Group and Lion Nathan, suggest tha...
Lion Nathan has appointed a new non-executive director....
Coopers Brewery is fighting the takeover attempt from fellow Australian brewer Lion Nathan....
Lion Nathan today announced that it intends to make an off-market offer for Coopers Brewery Ltd (Coopers). The offer of A$260 per share in cash values Coopers at A$352m....
Lion Nathan has received further assurances that it is not about to be taken over....
Lion Nathan has played down speculation that it may be the subject of a takeover....
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World