AUS: Lion Nathan acquires J Boag from San Miguel
The Australian drinks company confirmed to just-drinks today (8 November) that it will acquire Boag, subject to regulatory approvals, for A$325m (US$302.8m). The transaction is also dependant on Japan-based Kirin Holdings, which holds a 20% stake in San Miguel, purchasing National Foods from San Miguel, also announced today.
Kirin also holds 46% control of Lion Nathan.
Speaking to just-drinks today, a spokesperson for Lion Nathan said that the purchase of the Tasmanian brewer was "bang on our strategy, to play in categories that we are already strong in.
"Boag has a very defined beer proposition, and we (Lion Nathan) account for 42% of the Australian beer market," the spokesperson noted.
The majority of Boag's distribution in Australia is handled by Foster's, which has an agreement with the Tasmanian company that runs until the middle of next year, the spokesperson said. "After the agreement ends, the distribution will revert to ourselves," the spokesperson said. "I'd be speculating if we talked about what happens (with Boag's distribution) between now and then."
Lion Nathan expects to take full control of Boag in January next year.
Sectors: Beer & cider
Increased excise on pre-mixed spirits in Australia is expected to boost beer sales for Foster's and Lion Nathan....
Kirin Holdings and Sapporo Holdings are looking to merge their beer distribution in the north of Japan, according to local reports....
Domestic shipments of beer and beer-like products in Japan registered a fall in the first three months of 2008, according to recent figures....
Kirin Holdings is on the hunt for partnerships in India, Thailand and Vietnam, according to local reports....
Diageo Australia has applauded other producers of RTDs in their decision to introduce the two standard drink, a plan the company introduced in the country last year....
Foster's and Lion Nathan have both announced plans to cease production of RTDs with a high alcohol content and energy additives from their portfolios....
Domestic shipments of beer and beer-like beverages in Japan rose slightly last month ahead of further price rises in the country, according to recent figures....
San Miguel Corp. has lined up the flotation of its domestic beer unit for later this year, according to local reports....
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends