AUS: Lion gets chance to proceed on Independent
Australia's competition watchdog has reportedly given Lion Nathan the green light to proceed with a full bid for New Zealand's Independent Liquor.
After a review of the Australian spirits market, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has decided that there are no reasons to oppose a potential acquisition by Lion, according to a report in the Australian Financial Review today (30 October).
Last week, Lion received the green light to enter a bid from the New Zealand Commerce Commission.
Lion is one of six potential bidders on the shortlist for Independent, which produces RTDs including Vodka Cruiser, Mudshake and FX.
Last week, Diageo formally registered its interest in Independent but the ACCC has said the UK drinks giant will have to wait until 5 December for a ruling on its application to look at the company's books.
Foster's Group, which is also on the Independent shortlist, is yet to seek ACCC clearance to conduct due diligence on the company. The other three names understood to be on the shortlist are Coca-Cola Amatil and two private equity groups, Pacific Equity Partners and Nikko Principal Investments.
Independent was put up for sale last year following the death of founder Michael Erceg. Analysts have valued the company at around A$1.1bn (US$829m).
Vin & Sprit has lined up a fresh global advertising campaign for its Absolut vodka brand....
Diageo is looking to focus heavily on its premium market by offering up more innovative ways for them to connect with key brands....
V&S Group has reported double digit growth in both operating profit and profit after tax in its first quarter, despite a fall in net sales, which were hit by exchange rate fluctuations...
Diageo Great Britain plans to launch a heavyweight marketing and advertising campaign to push sales of Pimm's over the summer in the UK....
A milk beer, a caffeine-infused vodka and water with flower essences are some of the new drinks products launched this month....
Belvédère has completed its purchase of Florida Distillers Company from V&S Group....
Luctor International is bringing a new vodka flavour to its Van Gogh brand in the US....
Davide Campari-Milano has trimmed the size of its board and issued dividend details....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- This week in spirits & wine
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts