AUS: Lion gains rights to Guinness and Kilkenny from Foster's
Lion will handle Guinness and Kilkenny in Australia from November
The Kirin Holdings-owned firm said yesterday (June 13) that it has agreed a deal with Diageo to add the two brands to its portfolio from November. Lion will manage the brewing of Guinness Draught, Kilkenny Draught and Extra Stout, as well as distribution, sales and marketing for both brands in “all existing formats”, the company said.
Foster’s has lost a number of brands since being acquired by SABMiller last December. In March, it lost the licence to brew Grupo Modelo’s Corona Extra, which also went to Lion, and in February lost the rights to Asahi. Anheuser-Busch InBev brands Stella Artois, Hoegaarden and Leffe also went to Lion from Foster's, at the end of last year.
James Brindley, MD of Lion's beer, spirits & wine Australia unit, said the two new brands “strengthen our leading international premium portfolio”.
He added: “Guinness and Kilkenny have fantastic heritage and we are delighted to have the opportunity to further grow these brands in Australia.”
Lion already manufactures and distributes Guinness and Kilkenny in New Zealand through a pre-existing relationship with Diageo.
Tim Salt, Diageo Australia managing director, said: “We have enjoyed a successful and productive relationship with Foster’s for the past nine years and would like to thank them for their co-operation.”
A spokesperson for Foster's added: "CUB has manufactured these products for Diageo under a toll arrangement but is not involved in the marketing or sales of them.
"This change will have limited impact on our manufacturing given the small volumes involved."
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages