NZ: Lion could buy Independent Distillers - analyst
Lion Nathan would be the front-runner in any sale of New Zealand spirits group Independent Distillers, investment bank Goldman Sachs JBWere has said.
Goldman Sachs said it believed Independent Distillers could be up for sale following the death of its founder Michael Erceg last November.
Independent Distillers focuses on the discount beer and RTD segments in New Zealand and has expanded its operations to Australia and the UK. Goldman said the company could command a price tag of around A$1bn (US$743m).
"In our view, Lion Nathan's thirst for an RTD business and its Trans-Tasman asset footprint makes it the leading contender in any potential sale," Goldman said today (7 February).
Goldman also named New Zealand beer maker DB Breweries, a subsidiary of Asia Pacific Breweries, as another potential suitor.
Lion Nathan officials could not be reached for comment as just-drinks went to press.
Australian beer and wine group Lion Nathan is expected to announce a move into ready-to-drink spirits next week. David Robertson assesses the options available to Lion as it seeks to emulate the succe...
After some less than successful diversification in recent years, Lion Nathan is focusing its attentions back on beer and winning the approval of analysts in the process. The company looks set to gain ...
Integrating spirits, wine and beer has proved problematic for major drinks groups over the years but expansionary moves by the two major Australian brewers, Foster's Group and Lion Nathan, suggest tha...
Lion Nathan has appointed a new non-executive director....
Coopers Brewery is fighting the takeover attempt from fellow Australian brewer Lion Nathan....
Lion Nathan today announced that it intends to make an off-market offer for Coopers Brewery Ltd (Coopers). The offer of A$260 per share in cash values Coopers at A$352m....
Lion Nathan has received further assurances that it is not about to be taken over....
Lion Nathan has played down speculation that it may be the subject of a takeover....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- The future of drinks flavours - Consumer Trends
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo job cut figures "likely overstated"
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends