UK: Lion Capital silent over Whyte & Mackay bid with ex-CEO
The bidding process for Whyte & Mackay is reportedly nearing its end
Private equity firm Lion Capital has declined to comment on a report it has teamed up with Whyte & Mackay's (W&M) former CEO to table a bid for the Scotch whisky producer.
The Sunday Times reported yesterday (13 April) that Lion is working with John Beard on a move for the Glasgow-based group. Beard left W&M as CEO last August, with no explanation given for his departure.
A spokesperson for London-based Lion told just-drinks today it does not comment on speculation. Diageo also declined to comment.
Diageo is looking to sell off the bulk of W&M assets, including its Invergordon, Jura and Fettercairn distilleries, to satisfy the UK's Office of Fair Trading. The Smirnoff producer took on the portfolio last year after getting control of W&M's parent company United Spirits.
Last November, another former W&M CEO & owner, Vivian Imerman, expressed an interest in buying back the Scotch producer. Imerman sold the company to Vijay Mallya's UB Group in 2007.
Yesteday's newspaper report claimed other bidders include SPI Group, ThaiBev, Gruppo Campari and private equity groups KKR and TPG.
Final bids for W&M are due this week and expected to be between GBP350m (US$585.1m) and GBP400m, it was reported.
Diageo plc - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and...
Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets