UK: Lion Capital silent over Whyte & Mackay bid with ex-CEO
The bidding process for Whyte & Mackay is reportedly nearing its end
Private equity firm Lion Capital has declined to comment on a report it has teamed up with Whyte & Mackay's (W&M) former CEO to table a bid for the Scotch whisky producer.
The Sunday Times reported yesterday (13 April) that Lion is working with John Beard on a move for the Glasgow-based group. Beard left W&M as CEO last August, with no explanation given for his departure.
A spokesperson for London-based Lion told just-drinks today it does not comment on speculation. Diageo also declined to comment.
Diageo is looking to sell off the bulk of W&M assets, including its Invergordon, Jura and Fettercairn distilleries, to satisfy the UK's Office of Fair Trading. The Smirnoff producer took on the portfolio last year after getting control of W&M's parent company United Spirits.
Last November, another former W&M CEO & owner, Vivian Imerman, expressed an interest in buying back the Scotch producer. Imerman sold the company to Vijay Mallya's UB Group in 2007.
Yesteday's newspaper report claimed other bidders include SPI Group, ThaiBev, Gruppo Campari and private equity groups KKR and TPG.
Final bids for W&M are due this week and expected to be between GBP350m (US$585.1m) and GBP400m, it was reported.
Diageo plc - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and...
Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research