Product Launch - UK: Lidl's Maxwell 33-year-old Single Malt
Click through to view Lidl's Maxwell 33-year-old Single Malt
Lidl's Maxwell 33-year-old Single Malt
Category - Spirits, whisky, Scotch, single malt, 40% abv
Available - From this week
Location - UK, off-trade exclusively in branches of Lidl
Price - GBP39.99 (US$64) per 70cl bottle
Distribution - Lidl
German-owned Lidl has lined up a limited edition single malt Scotch whisky for its UK stores. The company said earlier this week that the 33-year-old expression will be limited to 5,280 units, and will target the Christmas shopper.
The oak-barrelled Maxwell hails from the Highlands region.
Back in September, Lidl introduced a wine ratings system for its UK stores, as it looked to introduce a premium wine range in the country.
Lidl's own label 33-year-old Maxwell Single Malt Scotch whisky has been classified as a 'Superstar whisky that gives us all a reason to live' as it comes into stores nationwide from 29th November. It's the first time that Lidl has sourced a whisky of this kind, which would normally retail at over GBP100 and are expecting it to fly off the shelves when it arrives in time for Christmas.
The whisky scored 95 points out of a possible 100 and garnered great praise from Whisky Expert Jim Murray, who says '[This] has to be nosed to be believed...here is a chance to have a sniff at something nearing perfection....'
Lidl were able to source a limited supply of the oak-barrelled whisky, which comes from the Highlands, and have priced the usually-expensive product at GBP39.99.
"Last year Lidl unearthed a couple of stunning whiskies to be sold at an improbably economic price to the consumer. They have done it again for Christmas 2012 with a malt destined to be another collectors' item."
The launch of this whisky comes shortly after Lidl took home its 100th award in the International Spirits Challenge as it was announced their own-brand Putinoff vodka had won the trophy for the vodka category.
Recent research by Kantar Worldpanel has revealed that own-label now makes up 25% of all alcohol spend with price remaining the significant driver of shopper behaviour.
33-year-old Single Malt Scotch Whisky GBP39.99
Available in stores nationwide as long as stocks last
Original source: Company Release
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research