UK: Lidl adopts wine ratings for new premium range
Lidl says the ratings system will encourage customers to try something different
Supermarket chain Lidl has adopted a new wine ratings system ahead of the introduction of a premier wine range in the UK.
The system, which uses an out-of-100 rating, will encourage consumers to try something new, a Lidl spokesperson told just-drinks today (20 September). The new wine will hit shelves on 27 September.
The range includes 19 wines priced between GBP4.99 (US$8.08) and GBP12.99.
“The ratings system is not something we've done before, so it's really another way of trying to give our customers a bit more background to what they are drinking,” the spokesperson said.
“It gives our consumers a guide and the opportunity to try something different.”
Each bottle was scored by a panel of four wine specialists headed by Master of Wine Richard Bampfield.
Lidl is also investing GBP1m in revamping the wine section of its 600 UK stores in time for the launch of the new wine range. The wines are from different suppliers and are not new to the market, the spokesperson said. Ten of the wines are on the supermarket listings and nine are temporary listings.
The range, which includes Châteauneuf du Pape (GBP12.49), Médoc (GBP6.99) and a Sancerre (GBP9.99), aims to capture growing demand from “affluent but spend-savvy customers”, Lidl said.
“We’re wanting to offer people the opportunity to enjoy really good wines at prices that aren’t ridiculous,” said Lidl specialist wine category manager Ben Hulme. “Since the recession hit, we’ve seen a shift in customer spending habits with many people, even those from more affluent backgrounds, finding smart ways to continue enjoying fine wines at home.”
The full list of wines on offer can be viewed below.
|Name||Country||Listed/Special||Retail Price GBP||Vintage||ABV %|
|Chablis AOC Premier Cru||France||Special||9.99||2009||12.5|
|Pouilly Fumé AOP||France||Special||9.99||2011||12.5|
|Chardonnay Reserva Privada||Chile||Special||9.99||2010||13.5|
|Bourgogne Aligoté AOP||France||Listed||6.99||2011||12|
|Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough||New Zealand||Listed||5.49||2011||12.5|
|Saint-Emilion Grand Cru AOC||France||Special||9.99||2010||14|
|Morellino di Scansano DOCG||Italy||Special||9.99||2010||13.5|
|Cabernet Sauvignon Gran Reserva||Chile||Special||9.99||2010||14|
|Bordeaux AOP Supérieur||France||Listed||4.99||2011||12.5|
|Châteauneuf du Pape AOP||France||Listed||12.49||2011||14|
|Rioja DOCa Reserva||Spain||Listed||5.99||2008||13.5|
|Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva Privada||Chile||Listed||5.99||2010||14|
|Prosecco Spumante Conegliano Valdobbiadene DOCG||Italy||Listed||6.99||2011||11|
|10 Year Old Tawny Port||Portugal||Special||9.99||-||20|
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends