Liberation Group eyes UK expansion with Butcombe Brewery buy
The Liberation Group, the Channel Islands brewer and pub firm, has acquired UK regional brewer and pub operator Butcombe Brewery for an undisclosed sum.
Jersey-based Liberation said the deal, announced today, will mean a combined entity of 94 on-trade outlets and two breweries with a total output of around 30,000 barrels. The merged firms will consist of around 750 staff.
Liberation, which is backed by private equity firm LGV Capital, will sell Butcombe's beers in the Channel Islands, while exporting its own beers to UK pub chains and supermarkets that already deal with Somerset-based Butcombe.
Mark Crowther, CEO of Liberation Group, which has 75 pubs on the Channel Islands and a brewery, said: “We have been looking for some time for the right UK business to acquire as part of our longer term growth strategy."
He added: “The enlarged group provides the perfect bridge head platform for further future growth in the UK market.”
Liberation, formed in 2008, said it plans to build a portfolio of “food-led managed and high quality tenanted pubs” while continuing the “growth and development of the Butcombe beer and cider range”.
Guy Newell, MD of Butcombe, which has 19 pubs across the UK's south west, said: “We have had significant interest from several UK pub and drinks businesses, but for us Liberation Group was by far the best fit with our business.”
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends