ITALY: Lehman Brothers acquires Spumador Group
The investment bank Lehman Brothers Merchant Banking has announced that it has acquired the Spumador Group, an Italian family-owned branded and private label soft drinks and mineral water bottling business, for an undisclosed sum.
The Spumador Group comprises three companies: Spumador Fonte S. Antonio S.p.A. based in Caslino al Piano; Fonti San Carlo Spinone al Lago S.p.A. based in Spinone al Lago; and Acque Oligominerali Valverde S.r.l. based in Quarona Sesia.
Lehman Brothers is partnering in the deal with the Verga family, which founded the company, and with the Colombo family. The two families will together retain a 24% stake in Spumador, Lehman Brothers said.
The bank also said that Jose Arozamena, CEO of Cambium USA, was a partner in the deal, and would take over as CEO of Spumador. Lehman Brothers said that Cambium had assisted the bank in identifying Spumador as an investment opportunity and in negotiating the transaction.
With a combined turnover in the region of €150m, the Spumador Group bottles mineral water at source under its principal mineral water labels, Fonte S. Antonio, Fonte S. Francesco, Valverde, Sancarlo Spinone, and Fonte S. Andrea.
In addition, the company produces and markets carbonated and still soft drinks, principally under the Spumador and Sancarlo brands, and has some own label business. The company has over 400 staff and operates 22 bottling lines in five plants in Italy.
Sectors: Soft drinks
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends