RUSSIA: Lebedyanksy taps PepsiCo for loan
Russian juice producer Lebedyanksy may borrow up to RUB10bn (US$364m) from its main stakeholder PepsiCo in a bid to help it finance current operations.
PepsiCo confirmed the possibility of a loan to just-drinks today (24 November), and said that it would loan the money "at an interest rate equal to or lower than what first-class banks may offer".
PepsiCo and its main bottling arm, The Pepsi Bottling Group acquired 75% of Lebedyansky for US$1.4bn in August. Since then, the company has made a further bid to acquire the remaining 25% of the leading Russian juice firm in September. It is thought the price per share may be similar to the RUB2,165 paid in the previous deal.
Lebedyansky is the largest branded producer in Russia's growing juice market, with an estimated 30% market share and annual revenue in 2007 of around US$800m, according to PepsiCo.
However, the company had a total debt of over RUB6bn in the third quarter of 2008.
Lebedyansky's juice volumes fell 1% during the first three months of this year. Revenue in juice rose 11% to US$202.8m, however. Group net income plunged into the red for the quarter, recording a loss of US$5.4m, compared to profit of US$24m in the same period in 2007.
According to a new report from the British Soft Drinks Association, functional beverages are continuing to outperform all other soft drinks categories. Annette Farr reviews the latest innovations in a...
The latest in the PepsiCo v bottlers saga took another twist this week as PepsiAmericas announced it is to enter into a joint venture with Central America Beverage Corporation (Cabcorp)....
Britvic's share price has leapt to its highest point for almost a year after the group announced a sales rise for its fiscal first-half....
Restructuring charges in Ireland have seen Britvic report flat net profits for its fiscal first-half, but the group reported an improving soft drinks market in the UK....
PepsiAmericas is to set up a joint venture with Central America Beverage Corporation (Cabcorp) to serve Caribbean and Central American soft drinks markets....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Pepsi Bottling Group, the drinks bottler currently in a takeover tussle with its majority shareholder, Pepsico, has signed a deal to buy Massachusetts-based firm Pepsi-Cola Bottlers for the Merrimack ...
PepsiCo has filed a lawsuit against one of its biggest bottlers, Pepsi Bottling Group, accusing board members of illegally setting up measures to block a PepsiCo takeover....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- Diageo job cut figures "likely overstated"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends