FRANCE: Leading winemaker dies in crash
Yves Barry, one of the most prolific winemakers in France has died in a car crash near his home town of Béziers in the south of France. He was 37.
Barry had been head winemaker at the Michel Laroche project in the Languedoc, Mas la Chevalière since its foundation in 1996.
But although his roots were in the south of France, he including a spell working for the retailer Majestic in the East End of London.
He trained in France, and worked at such famous French names as Calvet, Mouton-Rothschild and Champagne Deutz. But he also gained significant experience in Australia, working for the country's best-known sparkling wine, Piper's Brook, in Tasmania, and Katnook Estate in Coonawarra.
Until his death he was working as a consultant for a number of New World wineries, from Stellenbosch to Argentina.
A well-known figure around Béziers, where he was a keen rugby player, Barry leaves a wife and five-year-old son.
The UK market is developing in terms of sales and sophistication. Drawing on up-to-the-minute consumer research, Alex McPhee, Neville Calvert and David Matthews of management consultants, KPMG, examin...
Recently published research indicates that while consumers have taken to the clear and modern marketing techniques employed by New World producers, they still cherish the romance and mystique of wine,...
Seven French wine co-operatives have joined forces to create a brand to compete with its New World rivals....
US wine and spirits distributor New World Brands has appointed David Rudden as CEO....
UBS has begun its coverage of the Chilean wine producer Concha y Toro (VCO)....
Vincor International has reported a 46% increase in first quarter sales, compared to the same period last year, to C$165.8m, following its acquisition of Western Wines in July last year....
The Norwegian drinks distributor Arcus is to launch its own Argentine wine brand....
The French wine industry's troubles are unlikely to be helped by this year's harvest as preliminary figures predict a bumper crop, placing more pressure on winemakers who are still struggling to sell ...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Rémy Cointreau eyes recovery after Q4 bounceback
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly