US: Leading politician slams child beverage marketing
A leading US politician has questioned whether food and drinks companies will voluntarily combat the issue of rising child obesity in the country.
Edward J. Markey slammed five of the country's top food and beverage companies for not committing to the same standards on children's food outlined last month by Kellogg.
Kellogg, the world's largest cereal maker, decided to improve the nutritional content of products it sells to children and tighten its marketing of such products.
"These top food and beverage companies have an opportunity to play an important role in helping our children make healthier choices," said Markey. "I'd like these companies to supersize their commitment to public health and take steps to refrain from targeting young kids with certain food marketing. If Snap, Crackle, and Pop can do it, why can't Ronald McDonald?
Markey added: "The vague and incomplete responses from these companies, at a time when our country is facing a serious childhood obesity crisis, again raise the question of whether voluntary industry action will be sufficient to combat this important public health issue."
According to Markey, only Coca-Cola Co. gave him details of marketing restrictions with "any real impact".
Officials at the five companies could not be reached for immediate comment.
The Christmas season may be a time notorious for over-indulgence, but soft drinks companies see it as a key period for adult soft drinks, where the emphasis is increasingly on healthy offerings. Annet...
A group of 11 major food and drinks companies have launched a new self-regulatory initiative in Europe under which they will voluntary make changes to how and what they advertise directly to children....
RTD coffee producers are broadening consumption opportunities for their products in a move to overcome the perception that coffee is unhealthy, according to an industry report....
Pepsi Cola Products Philippines (PCPP) has lowered the price range for next month's IPO....
Compania Cervecerias Unidas (CCU) has seen volumes in 2007 rise on the year before...
The Coca-Cola Co. is looking to invest in US-based soft drinks company Honest Tea, according to local reports....
Food and beverage giant PepsiCo has announced the appointment of Dr Mehmood Khan as chief scientific officer, a newly-created role....
The Coca-Cola Co. has successfully appealed against a court ruling in Argentina that said a campaign by Danone had not affected sales of Coca-Cola's Dasani water brand in the country....
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- This week in spirits & wine
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts