FRANCE: Laurent-Perrier sacrifices sales for price rises
Champagne house Laurent-Perrier has seen sales in its first quarter drop by a fifth, as the group enters what it has described as a "transition period".
Sales fell to EUR41.8m (US$65.7m) in the three months to 30 June, compared to EUR53.5m for the same period last year, Laurent-Perrier announced.
The group said it had anticipated the dip, which was a consequence of a new commercial strategy designed to make its flagship brand more exclusive in the long-term. "The first quarter does not reflect the wider picture," Laurent-Perrier said.
Prices for Laurent-Perrier rose in the quarter by 17% and distribution channels have been slimmed down.
It remained unclear whether the moves were related to concerns about tight Champagne supplies amid growing demand.
January may be the time to look forward to the coming year but few in the drinks industry will be eyeing the coming year with relish. However, given the pessimistic tone of virtually every market and ...
Pernod Ricard's unexpected move for Absolut in March set the tone for a year in which Diageo eschewed any significant acquisitions in favour of joint deals with existing brand owners. Olly Wehring rev...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Sweden-based distributor Nigab is to handle Foster's wine brands in the Nordic duty-free and travel retail sectors....
Nick Blair, wine director for Pernod Ricard in the UK, is to be the new chairman of the London International Wine Fair and its sister show, Distil....
Pernod Ricard has announced that Eric Benoist, current marketing head for Martell Perrier-Jouet, will replace Martin Riley as marketing director as Chivas Brothers....
Pernod Ricard has appointed Martin Riley, head of marketing for its Chivas Brothers division, as the group's new vice president of global marketing....
Russian Standard has said that its vodka will be distributed in Greece by Amvyx, the spirits distributor that this week severed ties with Pernod Ricard brands, including Absolut....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future