UK: Laurent-Perrier drops wine agencies in UK
Laurent-Perrier UK is dropping its agency wines portfolio to focus solely on Champagne in the country.
The UK unit of the French company confirmed today (26 October) that it will no longer be distributing wines from Marqués de Riscal, Trinity Hill and Thorn-Clarke in the country.
Speaking to just-drinks, David Hesketh, Laurent Perrier UK's managing director, said: "We undertook a review of, as well as some research into, where we were in the UK marketplace. We concluded that we would be able to provide a more coherent position for our customers.
We took the decision to ensure that we focus on the relationships we have with our UK customers across the board."
When asked about possible job losses, Hesketh said: "The agency wines were sold by our sales force. Once the change is introduced, all that will be in their portfolio will be Champagne - that will be the only change."
The current trade marketing manager for agency wines at Laurent Perrier UK, Juliet Eliot, will move to fill the newly-created position of trade marketing manager for Champagnes.
Hesketh confirmed that Trinity Hill will team up with Enotria going forward, but was unable to give further details on the other two agencies.
The unit will phase out the agency wines starting in the new year, Hesketh added.
A delimited production area is both the main strength and weakness of a wine appellation, a guarantee of quality but a major obstacle to growth. Plans in Champagne, arguably the premier appellation of...
A recent BBC TV documentary in the UK has re-opened the debate about the environmental costs of bottled water. Annette Farr believes the documentary was one-sided and irresponsible....
Nestle Waters France is to halt production of its youth-oriented Perrier Fluo range in the wake of weak sales and replace it with a more sober sparkling water range called Perrier Mix....
Pernod Ricard has confirmed a change of senior brand manager for Champagne Perrier-Jouët in the UK....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Pernod Ricard has lined up a second level of investment for its Champagne units....
The Laurent-Perrier Group has posted a slower lift in sales as the first nine months of its fiscal year have progressed....
Laurent-Perrier has lowered its full-year forecasts, due to sliding volumes in its third quarter....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018