FRANCE: Laurent-Perrier Champagne sales regain fizz
Laurent-Perrier faces pricing pressure
Laurent-Perrier has reported a revival in Champagne sales in its fiscal first quarter, but consumers have continued to put pressure on profit margins by opting for cheaper bottles.
The Champagne producer's net sales rebounded to EUR36.8m (US$47.5m) for the three months to the end of June, up 17% on sales of EUR31.2m in the same period of last year.
Its announcement offers further evidence that Champagne sales are regaining their fizz in 2010 after the global economic downturn hampered the sector's performance for most of 2009.
Laurent-Perrier said yesterday (20 July) that it was "encouraged" by its first quarter sales, even though they remained below the EUR41.8m achieved in the same period of 2008.
Pricing is emerging as the key challenge for Champagne houses in 2010 and Laurent-Perrier's figures did little to allay industry concerns.
Volume sales in the first quarter rocketed by 40%, driven by consumers trading down to cheaper bottles of Champagne and causing a 24% drop in Laurent-Perrier's price mix for the quarter.
Laurent-Perrier highlighted that its namesake brand expanded margins during the quarter and added that it expects price mix "to steadily improve during the coming quarters".
The group saw the strongest demand from the UK, US, Germany and Asia.
Today is a very sad day here on just-drinks, as we bid a very fond farewell to our soft drinks and water expert, Annette Farr. Annette, we'll miss you. enjoy your retirement. But, before you go......
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends