FRANCE: Languedoc conman makes off with 18,000 bottles
A wine company in the Languedoc has been the victim of a scam from a UK-based con artist.
Château de Marmorières, in the La Clape - Aude department of the wine region, was earlier this month relieved of 18,000 bottles of rosé, red and white wine of AC and VDP from Languedoc, having been approached by a person claiming to be a buyer for on-trade companies in the UK.
The buyer gave the name James Dee, and said he was buying for Maxwell Restaurant. A delivery address was given as 678 High Road in London. Château de Marmorières subsequently gave the wine to three different transport companies, none of which have been paid either.
A separate scam attempt at Domaine de Familongue in the region failed, however, when further inquiries were made. Whilst the same delivery address was given, the contact name given was Nathan Green, a supposed sourcing manager for the Thistle Kensington Park hotel.
The Château de Marmorières wines do not have distribution in the UK, so any appearance on the UK market would clearly come from the con artist, the wine company warned.
Lebedyansky has posted a slip in net income for the first nine months of this year....
Beam Global UK has unveiled a new logo and packaging for the established Sherry brand Harveys....
Foster's Australian and Lion Nathan sales data has been "consistent with forecasts", according to a recent survey....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- SABMiller, Meantime Brewing say goodbye to 'craft'
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer