CANADA: Labatt seals Lakeport Brewing deal
Labatt Brewing Co. has snapped up over 91% of Lakeport Brewing after unitholders of the Canadian discount beer maker accepted Labatt's offer.
The InBev subsidiary was given the go-ahead to buy up the trust units in Lakeport after Canada's competition authorities approved the takeover late on Wednesday (28 March).
Canada's Competition Tribunal turned down a request from the country's Competition Commissioner for more time to review the acquisition of Lakeport, which was first announced in February.
Following that approval, Labatt moved to buy all of the trust units in Lakeport, which equates to some 91.43% of the brewer. Labatt will move to secure the "compulsory acquisition" of the non-tendered units in Lakeport, InBev said today.
In February, Labatt and Lakeport agreed a deal worth C$201.4m (US$173.7m).
Based in Ontario, Lakeport's beer brands include Lakeport Honey Lager and Lakeport Pilsener.
The brewer has been successful in the province in recent years through its strategy of price discounting. In May, last year, Lakeport announced that it would sell its flagship brands at 1992 beer prices throughout the summer.
Coca-Cola Enterprises has recruited a senior executive at InBev to head up its European group....
SABMiller has said that it expects the Chinese beer brand Snow, in which it owns a 49% share, to become the second biggest beer brand in the world this year....
SUN InBev has announced a new campaign of social advertising to help tackle drunk driving in Russia....
InBev has launched an on-trade promotion for the Beck's Vier brand in the UK aimed at tapping into the popularity of its Beck's Fusions music events....
InBev has unveiled a "revolutionary, cinematic" update of the global website for its Stella Artois brand....
SABMiller has been forced to pull a television advert in the UK after a complainant suggested the ad would appeal to under 18-year-olds....
InBev has been reprimanded in the UK for inferring that its Artois range of beers is family-owned....
InBev has said it is hoping to catch up its competitors in China through its recent executive changes in the country. The brewer said yesterday (17 September) that the current zone president for North...
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Key trends for beer in 2016 - Focus
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Diageo's Oban Little Bay single malt Scotch - NPD
- Diageo nears wine exit with Acacia sale to Peju
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research