CANADA: Labatt on attack over advertising disappointment
Labatt Breweries, of Canada, based in Toronto, has publicly blasted its main advertising agency, Ammirati Puris, telling it to shape up or another team will gain its business.
In an unusually open attack on a contracted business partner, vice-president of marketing for Labatt Charles Oliver said that his company expected better value for their money from the ad company.
In an interview with Toronto's Globe and Mail, he said: "We think we are paying an awful lot of money for what's coming out the other end. I'm not really interested in using my brands as a training ground and that's what has happened in the past."
Labatt's grumble with Ammirati Puris has much to do with the company's high turnover rate recently. Oliver said that he wants top creative minds working on their account and is becoming impatient with the ad agency's slow pace of hiring experienced senior talent.
The vice-president also said that he was asking for more efficiency from other companies that contribute to Labatt's marketing, such as Palmer Jarvis DDB, the creators of ads for Budweiser and Bud Light, and promotional shops such as Mosaic Marketing.
Meanwhile, Labatt appears to be wasting no time in wanting action from Amminati Puris. "We're not going to drag this out," said Oliver. "We want to see some creative thinking applied, and hopefully that will happen early next week."
Conflicting reports circulated this weekend over whether Bacardi International is looking to form a counter-bid for Allied Domecq....
Todays press reports into Pernod and Fortune's hopes to buy Allied Domecq warn of possible conflicts and set a date for completion....
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are hoping to buy Allied Domecq for around 670p per share, according to press reports....
LVMH has said it is not looking to buy Mumm Champagne from Allied Domecq....
Equity analyst Legg Mason has downgraded its rating of the US brewer Anheuser-Busch from "hold" to "sell" after the company issued a statement saying it expected sales below previous estimates....
The US brewer Anheuser-Busch Cos has reported first quarter 2005 domestic beer volumes below previous expectations....
Pernod Ricard is looking to acquire Allied Domecq....
The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) is being lobbied over beer adverts during televised college sports events in the US....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review