CANADA/US: Labatt Breweries livid as NHL sides with Molson Coors
A-B InBev's Labatt Breweries battles Molson Coors over NHL sponsorship
Labatt said yesterday (22 February) that the National Hockey League will terminate Labatt's current sponsorship deal at the end of June this year. Following this, the NHL will be sponsored by Molson Coors.
However, Labatt, which has sponsored Canada's NHL for ten years, claims that it had already agreed a new deal with NHL officials.
"We began sponsorship renewal negotiations with the league several months ago to secure sponsorship rights," said Labatt's vice president of corporate affairs, Charlie Angelakos. "These negotiations with the NHL proceeded positively and in good faith to the point where the parties had agreed upon the terms of renewal of a sponsorship agreement until 2014," he said.
"We have an agreement with the league and are pursuing all legal remedies available to us to enforce this agreement," he added.
Separately, Anheuser-Busch InBev is believed to be annoyed that the NHL has also decided to tie-up with the joint venture between Molson Coors and SABMiller in the US, MillerCoors. A-B InBev's Budweiser sponsors 22 out of 24 NHL teams in the US.
Craft Brewers Alliance has continued to see stronger demand for its beers in the first half of 2011, but profits only rose thanks to the sale of its Fulton Street Brewery....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future