CANADA/US: Labatt Breweries livid as NHL sides with Molson Coors
A-B InBev's Labatt Breweries battles Molson Coors over NHL sponsorship
Labatt said yesterday (22 February) that the National Hockey League will terminate Labatt's current sponsorship deal at the end of June this year. Following this, the NHL will be sponsored by Molson Coors.
However, Labatt, which has sponsored Canada's NHL for ten years, claims that it had already agreed a new deal with NHL officials.
"We began sponsorship renewal negotiations with the league several months ago to secure sponsorship rights," said Labatt's vice president of corporate affairs, Charlie Angelakos. "These negotiations with the NHL proceeded positively and in good faith to the point where the parties had agreed upon the terms of renewal of a sponsorship agreement until 2014," he said.
"We have an agreement with the league and are pursuing all legal remedies available to us to enforce this agreement," he added.
Separately, Anheuser-Busch InBev is believed to be annoyed that the NHL has also decided to tie-up with the joint venture between Molson Coors and SABMiller in the US, MillerCoors. A-B InBev's Budweiser sponsors 22 out of 24 NHL teams in the US.
Craft Brewers Alliance has continued to see stronger demand for its beers in the first half of 2011, but profits only rose thanks to the sale of its Fulton Street Brewery....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends